Saturday, July 14, 2012
The top 5 reasons I would jump the fence for Alanis.
1. You Oughta Know came out just as a door was sliding shut in my life. Excellent late-teen angsty timing, the best ever angry break up song of all time.
2. She used to appear on You Can't Do That On Television (or YCDTOTV as my sisters and I lovingly referred to it). We loved that show SO much when we were kids. It was one of those ones we just hated to miss, we thought it was hilarious! I'm pretty sure if I watched it these days I wouldn't find it quite so funny, but it is one of those throwbacks to childhood that makes me smile.
3. She is open about her less mainstream parenting practices (as am I). I think we'd have some excellent conversations about this stuff. I love that her approach is about her own family, while respecting that others will choose to do things differently. If only everyone were so open minded.
4. When I was at Uni and a bit of a party girl, Ironic was a thing. Aside from the fact that the song itself has nothing to do with irony (bad luck doesn't have quite the same ring does it?) when I hear it now I am taken back to belting it out in my friend's car on the way to the beach, and the dance we made up to it which appeared in numerous nightclubs across Melbourne. I still know all the actions Butterfly! Do you?
5. Even her covers rock. This comes on my iPad playlist randomly but always at the right time. Love it.
Alanis. Love or loathe?